Aber Afon Dyfi – Hanes Darluniadol (Welsh)


The Dyfi estuary looks peaceful and unchanging, but this book tells a different and dramatic story. There have been armies, great estates, a centre of seaborne trade, a great woollen industry, cattle droving and fishing of salmon and herring and internationally renowned mines and quarries. Now its post-industrial landscape is a place of sheep farming, conservation, and tourism.

This highly readable book is first to tell the first to tell the whole story. It will be an essential companion for all those who know and visit the Dyfi. It is very good to look at with 160 illustrations of maps, paintings, drawings, and photographs. It puts the local history of the estuary and the lands around from the sea to Machynlleth into a context of thousands of years as a strategic centre of Wales and of European trade. Sections cover Geography, Travel, History, Towns and Villages and Overviews of farming, forestry, fishing, industries, trade, and historic houses.

Richard Mayou was Professor of Psychiatry and Fellow of Nuffield College at Oxford University and is now retired. He has visited the Dyfi area every year of his life, since 1952 staying at a family house on the very edge of the estuary between Aberdyfi and Pennal.  He is a regular visitor to, and treasured supporter of, the Trust’s work. This is Richard’s second local history book His first, Shabbington: A Thousand Years of Village History was published in 2015 and explores the Buckinghamshire village where he and his late wife, Ann, lived for 25 years.

All proceeds will go to Tabernacle and MOMA projects.

ISBN: 978-1-9196193-1-6 Category:

Additional information